Web design guidelines have evolved significantly over the last decade. Some basic guidelines however, are still as important today as they were a decade ago.
Here are some of the most important and often overlooked website guidelines
Easy to read – Your text content is the most important part of your site; make sure it is easily readable
- High contrast between text and background.
- Avoid using background images behind text.
- Dark text on a light background works best.
Easy to navigate – This is important for your users but also vital for search engines
- Keep your navigation clear and consistent.
- Use text links for navigation and avoid using images.
Usability – Easy to Use
- Make sure your site is easy to use.
- Make functionality as clear and easy to use as possible
Consistency in design and layout
- Don’t move things around too much as this can confuse and frustrate your users.
- Keep your design and layout consistent to make it easier to locate similar things across multiple pages on your site.
Low weight – Fast download
- Keep your pages light,
- Compress images to keep the weight down